A hosted solution for syncing
your TaskWarrior client.
your TaskWarrior client.
In a Nutshell
FreeCinc is a hosted implementation of TaskServer, which makes it easy for anyone using TaskWarrior to sync their tasks with a central server without having to manage and host their own TaskServer. And it's free!
Why does it Exist?
So you discovered TaskWarrior. Pretty neat that you can manage your tasks from command line, eh? But now you want to have the same tasks on your work computer as your home laptop. What to do?
One option is to let your ~/.task folder be managed by DropBox. Easy to set up, but with DropBox 'last write wins', so you may end up with merge conflicts.
The other option is to set up the new TaskServer software on a server and configure TaskWarrior to sync to it. This is not for the faint of heart, but if that's your bag, go for it!
Once I got my TaskServer set up and syncing with TaskWarrior I thought, 'Why not share this with the world?'. And FreeCinc was born.
A Short History
- July 2, 2014 Initial launch
- July 17, 2014 Artwork added
- July 23, 2014 About page added
- April 2018 Updated host to Ubuntu 16.04
- April 17, 2018 Learned to reset accounts damaged from disk filling up.
- April 18, 2018 Now running on the apt-get version of taskd (Still 1.1.0)
- May 9, 2018 Fixed bug where /generated_keys path returned 500 (Probably broken since April 18)
- Jan 4, 2019 Ownership transferred to Dustin Mitchell (@djmitche)
Is it Really Free?
FreeCinc is a free service. Anyone can generate a keypair and sync their tasks at no charge.
How do I sync between two different devices?
In order to sync between two different devices (a work laptop and a home laptop, for instance), you need to configure your client the same on both laptops. So after you click "Generate my Keys!" from the home page, work through the configuration steps on your first laptop. The last step will actually have you save a copy of that page so you can open it on your second laptop and configure it exactly the same as the first.
- Check your Taskwarrior version. Version 2.3.0 or greater is supported.
- Run `task diagnostics`. Verify that all three keys that you downloaded from freecinc show up as "readable".
- Try running the configuration steps again, either from the page you saved for later, or click "Generate my Keys!" from the home page again, download the newly generated keys, and configure anew.
- One way to completely wipe out your TaskWarrior configuration is to simply rename your ~/.taskrc file to ~/.taskrc.bak. This does not remove your tasks---but it does wipe out your entire configuration, including configuration setting overrides (custom sort order, for example) that you have set up. The next time you run TaskWarrior you will be asked if you would like to generate a fresh config. Once you've got it working, you can copy any configuration overrides back into~/.taskrc and you're all set.
It's still not working---what do I do?
If you suspect there may be a bug in FreeCinc, please create an issue on GitHub. You may also want to try the sync service for taskwarrior: InTheAM.
I have a suggestion
Great! Please create an issue on GitHub with your suggestion.
Now accepting donations via PayPal.me. As a point of reference, I spend about two hours a month maintaining the server and responding to support requests. And the monthly DigitalOcean bill is $6.